This week, I have had the incredible opportunity to spend a lot of time in nature while traveling. I’ve gotten to go to two national parks, a few random hikes in the middle of a forest, and to see the top of a mountain. Each time I get to spend extended time outside, I am reminded of the vastness of God. With so few distractions, I can focus on who He is, what He has created, and my relationship with Him. So how does this connect with my writing?
For starters, all of my creativity comes from God. He has intentionally created me this way, with the passions that I have. In Ephesians 2:10 (ESV), the Bible says:
"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."
God knew in the beginning what each of us would do. When I am more connected with Him, I can be more connected with my purpose. That's where nature ties into my writing.
When I am in nature, experiencing the beauty of God's creation, I am automatically more focused on Him. It's so easy to get into the swing of everyday life and forget who makes it all possible. I get stressed or upset about things and forget to give God credit for what He is working out in my life. Being in God's creation forces my mind out of this slump. You can't ignore the Creator when sitting right in the middle of His creation!
This increased focus on Christ always gets my mind moving. Ultimately, the purpose of my writing is to glorify God. If He receives all the recognition for my work, I count that as a success. Therefore, when I am more focused on Him, I am much more productive. When I remember that I am working for a purpose that is bigger than myself, it is so much easier to get things done.
Along with this, something about the size of creation always makes me remember how small I am. God holds all in His hands, like it says in Psalm 95:3-5 (ESV):
"3 For the Lord is a great God,
and a great King above all gods.
4 In his hand are the depths of the earth;
the heights of the mountains are his also.
5 The sea is his, for he made it,
and his hands formed the dry land."
The world is massive and I am small. If God holds all of it, how big must He be? This is all the more reason to bring glory to Him with everything I do. For if my life is not pointing toward God, it is for nothing. The same is true for my writing!
Seeing God's creation, remembering who He is, and remembering my ultimate purpose is always the push I need to keep going. I would encourage you today to think about your purpose for writing and really examine your heart. In today's world, it is so easy to get caught up in follows, likes, sales, and everything in between. We must never forget what all of this is for. I'll end with some encouragement (but also a challenge!) from Acts 20:24 (ESV):
"But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."
Run your race with endurance! Push your passion towards what truly matters!
Happy writing and God bless!
Comments
Post a Comment