Have you ever wanted to spend intentional time with the Lord, but don’t quite know where to start? You’re in the right place! It has taken me a long time to figure out what works for me when it comes to intentionally making time to learn more about Christ and spend more of my life focused on Him. I am not perfect by any means, but below are some things that can help you get into a quiet time routine of your own.
Prayer
If spending time with the Lord is what you’re after, prayer is a powerful place to start. What better way to connect with God than to speak directly to him? For so long, I neglected prayer in my personal life. I like to track things and keep count of “streaks” and prayer wasn’t always easy to track. Because of this, I didn’t spend near enough time talking to the Lord.
Praying doesn’t have to be elaborate. In fact, the Bible warns us about praying solely for show in Matthew 6:5.
“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.”
Praying can simply be you talking to God about what is on your heart. However, if you’re looking for a more structured place to begin, I would suggest the P.R.A.Y model. Here’s what that means:
- P - Praise
Praise God for who He is. Thank Him for being in your life. If you like to pray along with scripture, here are some verses that I would recommend: 1 John 4:8, 1 John 1:5, Isaiah 40:28, or Exodus 34:5–6.
- R - Repent
Bring your sins and shortcomings to God. Ask for forgiveness of these sins and a heart that is fully bent toward glorifying Him. If you like praying along with scripture, I would suggest praying through Psalm 51. This chapter in the Bible has been tabbed in my personal Bible for years, and is such a good guide to repentance.
- A - Ask
Bring your worries, concerns, needs, and wants to God. He cares for you and wants to hear from you. In this portion of prayer, it is important to remember that God may not give us everything we ask for, but He has a greater plan than we could ever imagine in store for our lives. If you’d like to guide this portion of prayer with scripture, here are a few that have encouraged me: Philippians 4:6-7, James 1:6, or 1 John 5:14.
- Y - Yield
To close your prayer, offer yourself to God and pledge to follow His will for your life. He wants our full devotion, not just bits and pieces of our lives. If you’d like to pray through scripture, I would suggest Matthew 16:24, Proverbs 3:5-6, Galatians 2:20, or John 5:30.
Bible Reading
Reading your Bible is often what people think of first when it comes to spending quiet time with the Lord. There are many ways that you can go about reading your Bible, but I would encourage you to always start with prayer. Pray that God will give you understanding, encourage your heart, and allow you to learn more about him.
Many people follow Bible plans if they are new to consistently reading their Bible. These plans can be found on a number of different apps and websites. I personally use the YouVersion app. Some plans will take you through the whole Bible or a book of the Bible, while other plans are more situational (for example, if you are struggling with anger, there would likely be a plan that takes you through different parts of the Bible that talk about that).
Many other people will go through a book of the Bible, or the entire Bible, on their own without a plan. This can be great for taking things at your own pace and allowing yourself to slow down and hear what God is teaching you each day.
None of these options are “better” than the other, you can do what works for you!
Journaling
Journaling is another thing that I have incorporated into my quiet times in the past. Often, prayer journaling allows me to get my thoughts together and stay focused in a way that helps me feel more connected to God. Prayer journaling can be a stream of consciousness thing, or a list. You can adapt it to fit what works best for you and your relationship with Christ.
Gratitude journaling has also been something that has helped me in times where I feel disconnected from Christ. Taking time to slow down and thank God for the blessings in my life helps keep me grounded and focused on the right things. Again, this can be stream of consciousness journaling or a list. I have used both strategies!
Worship music
There is so much power in worshiping God out loud. Whether it be in the car, in your room, or in church, singing/listening to worship music is a powerful thing. I would challenge you to find music that is entirely focused on Christ, and not just how we as humans feel or think. Some of my hardest battles have been fought in part by worshiping Christ through song.
Prayer Walking
This is something that I don’t think gets talked about often enough in the world of quiet time. Getting out in God’s creation is an important way to remember what He has done, what He is capable of, and what He can do. I love praying as I walk and thanking God for the beautiful things that surround me. These moments of quiet often lead to so much peace in my heart. Prayer walking is a wonderful way to slow down in a world of constant craziness.
Your quiet time doesn’t have to look exactly like everyone else’s. You don’t have to have an aesthetic journal, Bible, or highlighters in order to connect with Christ. God wants you to come to him exactly as you are.
If you have questions or comments about what you’ve just read, I’d love to chat! Feel free to comment down below or email me at penandpurpose2@gmail.com.
God bless!
Comments
Post a Comment