I am sure we’ve all sat down in front of a blank piece of paper or blank document on a screen at one point or another in our lives and thought “What am I even doing?” I know this has been me multiple times before! In fact, that was me right before writing this post, but that’s a story for another time. The point is, sometimes getting started is the hardest part. Figuring out what to write about is something that so many people struggle with!
I feel like I always overthink what I should write about. In my mind, every project needs to be my “next big idea” that I turn into an entire novel. In reality, finding things to write about is much simpler than that. The key is not to overcomplicate it.
But how do you stop overcomplicating it you ask?? You’ve come to the right place! That’s exactly what we’re going to talk about in this short little post here.
The Problem
In our world today, so many things are becoming public. People are monetizing their hobbies, or posting about every inch of their lives. While this isn’t bad in itself, it has led to a lot of comparison throughout the years. The writing community is no exception to this. I find myself scrolling and wondering why everyone else seems to have the perfect idea, writing set up, and amount of time to write an entire novel.
While I love getting inspiration from other creators, I also know that no matter what, I need to be focused on my craft. No one else has my brain, so I know there are ideas that I am going to have that can only come from me. That seems like a lot of pressure! How on earth am I supposed to come up with a unique idea that is something that can keep me (and a reader) interested?
The Solution
The solution that I have found for myself (at least for the time being, before I inevitably run into another problem) is the phrase “What if?” Any novel (at its very core) can be boiled down to the answer to this question.
“What if a perfectly normal boy finds out he’s a wizard?”
“What if a little dude with hairy feet finds a ring and goes on an adventure?”
“What if the world was split into groups, and one girl tried to change the whole system?”
Obviously, planning novels and stories is much more complicated than answering just one question. However, today we’re talking about the basics of finding an idea. Something that gets your blood pumping, or gives you that feeling of excitement for something new. Answering the “What if?” can help you get there. Now, not every idea is going to be a winner (I once wrote a story titled “The Man and the Dog.” Thrilling right?), but every idea is getting you closer to practicing your craft every day.
The Application
So what on earth are you supposed to do with this information? My advice is to simply go for it. Set a timer for 5-10 minutes, and write down every “What if?” question that pops into your head. One of these is bound to be interesting enough to write about!
Now, am I promising that this method will get you a brand new novel idea every time? Not necessarily (though I think that would be so exciting). At the end of the day, writers write. If you’ve been stuck in a rut of not knowing what to write about, this simple “What if?” method will help get your brain moving again!
Comment down below what your favorite “What if?” questions you’ve come up with are!
Happy writing!!
Comments
Post a Comment