Skip to main content

Creating a Short Term Bucket List

 Alright settle in folks, this is a post I’ve been looking forward to. 


First of all, I’m ranking this as a “Tidbit” on my blog. I know everyone says you’re supposed to “stay in your niche” and not “write about random stuff.” Unfortunately for them, this is my blog, so, today is just a post about something that I’ve been thinking and learning more about recently. It might not be the prettiest, or the most organized but by golly I’m going to enjoy writing it. So let’s get into it. 


When you think “Bucket List” you probably think BIG and BOLD. Skydiving or taking a cruise around the world or building your dream home. That’s what I always think of too. Then this summer hit (I’m a teacher, so I get summers off to recover. It’s hard work over there!) and I realized that for an entire year, my whole life had been revolving around my job to some extent. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job, but I also love having hobbies. And when you’re a first year teacher usually hobbies aren’t something you get to do too much of. 


So I’m here, bored out of my mind, thinking to myself “What on earth am I going to do all summer?” (besides doomscroll and take naps of course). It was also around this time that I saw a TikTok (Yes, again with the doomscrolling. I know it’s a problem) that asked the question: “If someone were to watch a movie of your life, would they be able to see what your goals are?” And boy did that catch me off guard. I had spent so long in fight or flight mode during the school year that I had completely lost sight of what I wanted my life to reflect. After sitting with this uncomfortable thought for a few minutes, I decided to make a list of my goals/passions. 


Here’s what I came up with: 

  1. Glorifying Christ each day

  2. Publishing a book

  3. Sharing my writing with the world

  4. Being able to hike wherever I want

  5. Being intentional with the people around me


I then went on to make a list of all of the habits that would get me closer to each of these goals (reading my Bible, actually writing, posting on my blog, working out, reaching out to friends, etc.). This was hard for me, as I was still absolutely flabbergasted at how far I had strayed from my goals in the past year or so. However, at this point I was feeling really energized, so I decided to make a “Summer Bucket List” of things that will help me get closer to my goals (and some things that are just fun, like learning to play a new card game). 


The idea is simple. I have about two and a half months until school starts again. I don’t want to waste my time doing things that aren’t beneficial for me or the people around me, but (knowing myself) I won’t stay motivated enough to make the most out of my time. At the end of the day, we are called to glorify God in everything we do (1 Corinthians 10:31, Colossians 3:23). This is where my idea for a bucket list of things to keep me moving comes from. 


If I am not actively pursuing my goals, no one is going to do it for me. I have to make the conscious decision to make the most of my time that I have here on Earth. If this is something that you are wanting to start doing, I’ve listed some ideas below!


  1. Study an entire book of the Bible

  2. Write/study/read in a coffee shop near you

  3. Bake something new

  4. Watch a TEDtalk about something you’ve never heard of before

  5. Write a letter to a friend

  6. Read a non-fiction book

  7. Take 20,000 steps in a day

  8. Complete a short story

  9. Write a song

  10. Learn to draw something interesting

  11. Learn a song in sign language

  12. Work on learning a new language


Obviously, this isn’t a comprehensive list. You should choose things for your bucket list that you are passionate about, or that will help you get closer to your goals. Remember: tomorrow isn’t promised. We have to make the most of today!


Have more bucket list ideas? Share them in the comments below!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo As a Full-Time College Student

For many years, since I was a little girl, I dreamed of becoming an author. I used to write stories on whatever paper I could find. However, a lot of that whimsy and creativity flew to the wayside as I began to advance in my educational journey. Essays soon began to take the place of short stories, and discussion posts overtook poems. This was a difficult transition, as I had always felt that God gave me the ability to write for a reason. Fast forward to my third year of college. In my program, this is arguably one of the busiest years. Still, I could feel the creative void then more than ever. It was at this time that I heard about National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) . I immediately blew it off, thinking that I was too busy and there was no way I could make it work with my schedule anyway. A few weeks later, I found myself staring at the “Join Challenge” button on October 31st (the day before the challenge begins). With little thought involved, I signed up. After all, I could jus...

Setting Rules in Your Faith

I grew up in a classic Christian household. We went to church every Sunday, prayed before meals, and regularly read the Bible together. I constantly saw my parents living out their faith, so I grew up thinking that it couldn’t be that difficult. They made it seem so easy. However, as I got older, I started to try to live up to their example too much. I decided that I needed to be the picture of a perfect Christian, and anything less meant that I wasn’t good enough. I began to set rules in place for myself - look a certain way, act a certain way, read my Bible in a certain way. It started to take a toll on me, and that’s when I realized that something was going to have to change.  The Rules The rules that I started out with didn’t seem so bad. They were disguised as good things. Reading my Bible isn’t a bad thing at all, but I decided that it didn’t count as quiet time unless I was sitting down with a pen and notebook with just the right amount of time to do an in-depth Bible study....

Beating Writer's Block

  Hello writers! Today we’re going to be tackling the age-old question “WHY CAN’T I WRITE???” This is something that I regularly struggle with (we are simply going to ignore the fact that I have not written a blog post in a month), but I have been working through. In other words, I don’t consider myself an “expert” in defeating writer’s block, but I am a person who has had some experience. So let’s dive in! What even is writer’s block? Just to clarify in case you’ve never heard it put into words: writer’s block (in the simplest of terms) is the inability to write for a period of time. It can be caused by a number of factors including stress, lack of motivation, problems with self-esteem, or perfectionism. As always, remember to give yourself grace! If you aren’t able to write for a few days, or even weeks, you are still a writer. We all have hard times. However, this post is for those of you who aren’t feeling motivated, but want to get some words down. I’ve heard plenty of advice ...