Skip to main content

Beating Writer's Block

 Hello writers!
Today we’re going to be tackling the age-old question “WHY CAN’T I WRITE???” This is something that I regularly struggle with (we are simply going to ignore the fact that I have not written a blog post in a month), but I have been working through. In other words, I don’t consider myself an “expert” in defeating writer’s block, but I am a person who has had some experience. So let’s dive in!

What even is writer’s block?

Just to clarify in case you’ve never heard it put into words: writer’s block (in the simplest of terms) is the inability to write for a period of time. It can be caused by a number of factors including stress, lack of motivation, problems with self-esteem, or perfectionism.

As always, remember to give yourself grace! If you aren’t able to write for a few days, or even weeks, you are still a writer. We all have hard times.

However, this post is for those of you who aren’t feeling motivated, but want to get some words down. I’ve heard plenty of advice about writer’s block through the years, but these are a few things that work for me!


Some of my favorite tips to help combat writer’s block

1. Writing sprints

This has single-handedly been one of the most influential things that has helped me overcome writer’s block. Something about setting a timer and just letting my thoughts run wild is so inspiring for me. I often continue to write for long after the timer has ended. I’m also extremely competitive, so I love keeping track of how many words I can write in the time limit and trying to beat my record! If you follow my instagram (@penandpurpose2), I’ll be posting some of my writing sprint stats soon! My favorite website to use for writing sprints is wordsprints.org. It allows you to write alone, or create group sprints where your community can work together! This is such a solid resource for when you have ideas, but can’t seem to get yourself to sit down and write them.

2. One sentence goal
I also like to call this one “no zero days.” It’s as simple as it sounds! If my goal is to write everyday, I make myself sit down and write at least one sentence. Sometimes it’s the worst sentence in the world, but it gets written! Similar to the writing sprints, I also often continue to write after my one sentence is completed. I love this strategy because it has an extremely low entry barrier. It doesn’t take a lot of brain power (sometimes) to write one bad sentence, but it often leads to a few more good sentences!

3. Romantisize it
This is something that I’ve heard a lot about more recently. I tend to just sit and write on my couch while wrapped in a blanket (a tried and true system, but terrible when I’m low on motivation). However, getting a little space set up for writing always makes me feel a little bit more inspired when I’m struggling. Think: organized desk, cute pens, lamp on instead of the big light, hot drink at the ready. I recently read a post from @s.e.bower on Instagram that mentioned having a signature “writing scent.” She has a certain lotion that she wears that alerts her brain that it’s time to write! Obviously, it will take some time to train your brain, but I love having a ritual that you can follow that lets your creative side know that it’s go time!

4. Build a community
This is something that has been major in my writing journey! I used to never be able to stay consistent because I wanted to keep my writing a secret (news flash: you’re not insane for wanting to be an author). Now, I have a community on Instagram that helps keep me accountable AND I found out one of my good friends has been working on writing a book too! The combination of these two things has meant that I am able to find motivation when I am struggling, as well as stay motivated to write more often. If you are struggling to find community, feel free to leave a comment, or head over to @penandpurpose2 on Instagram! I love meeting new people in the writing community and would love to help you move forward in your writing journey!

5. Set up a rewards system

This was one of the only things (besides the Lord) that kept me moving when I completed my first novel during National Novel Writing Month two years ago. Every 10,000 words, I allowed myself to buy a used book that I had been eyeing. Now obviously, I would be spending way too much money if I did that all the time, but it worked great for the short term! Other reward systems that I’ve seen include: sticker charts, writing coffee dates, eating out somewhere new, or a sweet treat! I’m an elementary school teacher, so I happen to be quite biased toward stickers, but I encourage you to find what works for you!


At the end of the day, if you write - you are a writer. Don’t get too worked up if you aren’t meeting the perfect word count that you have in your head, or your book isn’t as long as that one author on TikTok that you follow. These tips can help get you started, but I would love to hear what works for you!


Feel free to share your thoughts below!

Happy writing :)



Comments

  1. This is awesome! Thanks for the shoutout :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all! I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo As a Full-Time College Student

For many years, since I was a little girl, I dreamed of becoming an author. I used to write stories on whatever paper I could find. However, a lot of that whimsy and creativity flew to the wayside as I began to advance in my educational journey. Essays soon began to take the place of short stories, and discussion posts overtook poems. This was a difficult transition, as I had always felt that God gave me the ability to write for a reason. Fast forward to my third year of college. In my program, this is arguably one of the busiest years. Still, I could feel the creative void then more than ever. It was at this time that I heard about National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) . I immediately blew it off, thinking that I was too busy and there was no way I could make it work with my schedule anyway. A few weeks later, I found myself staring at the “Join Challenge” button on October 31st (the day before the challenge begins). With little thought involved, I signed up. After all, I could jus...

Setting Rules in Your Faith

I grew up in a classic Christian household. We went to church every Sunday, prayed before meals, and regularly read the Bible together. I constantly saw my parents living out their faith, so I grew up thinking that it couldn’t be that difficult. They made it seem so easy. However, as I got older, I started to try to live up to their example too much. I decided that I needed to be the picture of a perfect Christian, and anything less meant that I wasn’t good enough. I began to set rules in place for myself - look a certain way, act a certain way, read my Bible in a certain way. It started to take a toll on me, and that’s when I realized that something was going to have to change.  The Rules The rules that I started out with didn’t seem so bad. They were disguised as good things. Reading my Bible isn’t a bad thing at all, but I decided that it didn’t count as quiet time unless I was sitting down with a pen and notebook with just the right amount of time to do an in-depth Bible study....